Semi-final win recalls 1974-75 season
CRANE Sports' 6-2 beating of Westerfield in the semi-final of the Omnico Cup at the weekend brought back memories of their magnificent 1974/75 season.Under the management of the late Jimmy Barker, Crane went through the whole of the league campaign without losing a game.
By Elvin King
CRANE Sports' 6-2 beating of Westerfield in the semi-final of the Omnico Cup at the weekend brought back memories of their magnificent 1974/75 season.
Under the management of the late Jimmy Barker, Crane went through the whole of the league campaign without losing a game.
In fact, they won every game bar one, which was draw, as they lifted the Premier Division trophy of the Ipswich and District League (now the Metaltec SIL).
One of the main reasons that Crane did so well that season was their strike force of Dave Button and Barry Dean.
Dave scored over 50 goals and Barry over 30 in a team that can rightly rank as probably the best ever seen in the SIL.
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 4 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 8 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 9 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 10 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
Dave, who went on to play for Ransomes and Needham Market, is not in the best of health.
In his hey day he was one of the most lethal strikers around, and he drew this praise from his former strike partner Barry Dean, who is now a window cleaner.
“Dave was a great front man to link with, and he was a wonderful player who earned the respect of everyone who played with him.”
Crane have won the league title just once, but they have won the Suffolk Senior Cup four times and the Omnico Cup once, in 2004/05. They meet Melton St Audry's in this season's final.
Crane entered the FA Vase three times in the eighties, losing 2-0 at Soham in 81/82. After beating Ramsey Town 1-0 they lost 3-2 to Tiptree the following season.
In 1983/84, Crane beat Coggeshall Town 1-0, and Arlesey 3-2 after a replay before losing 1-0 at home to Potton.