Semi-final win recalls 1974-75 season
CRANE Sports' 6-2 beating of Westerfield in the semi-final of the Omnico Cup at the weekend brought back memories of their magnificent 1974/75 season.Under the management of the late Jimmy Barker, Crane went through the whole of the league campaign without losing a game.
By Elvin King
CRANE Sports' 6-2 beating of Westerfield in the semi-final of the Omnico Cup at the weekend brought back memories of their magnificent 1974/75 season.
Under the management of the late Jimmy Barker, Crane went through the whole of the league campaign without losing a game.
In fact, they won every game bar one, which was draw, as they lifted the Premier Division trophy of the Ipswich and District League (now the Metaltec SIL).
You may also want to watch:
One of the main reasons that Crane did so well that season was their strike force of Dave Button and Barry Dean.
Dave scored over 50 goals and Barry over 30 in a team that can rightly rank as probably the best ever seen in the SIL.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 8 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
Dave, who went on to play for Ransomes and Needham Market, is not in the best of health.
In his hey day he was one of the most lethal strikers around, and he drew this praise from his former strike partner Barry Dean, who is now a window cleaner.
“Dave was a great front man to link with, and he was a wonderful player who earned the respect of everyone who played with him.”
Crane have won the league title just once, but they have won the Suffolk Senior Cup four times and the Omnico Cup once, in 2004/05. They meet Melton St Audry's in this season's final.
Crane entered the FA Vase three times in the eighties, losing 2-0 at Soham in 81/82. After beating Ramsey Town 1-0 they lost 3-2 to Tiptree the following season.
In 1983/84, Crane beat Coggeshall Town 1-0, and Arlesey 3-2 after a replay before losing 1-0 at home to Potton.