Six-goal thriller warms the fans

Suffolk Intermediate League round-up - Achilles 3 Capel Plough 3: On a bitterly cold afternoon Achilles took the game to their opponents from the first whistle with both Coote and Barber going close.

Achilles 3 Capel Plough 3

On a bitterly cold afternoon Achilles took the game to their opponents from the first whistle with both Coote and Barber going close.

Capel's first chance fell to Tynan who was put through but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Capel took the lead against the run of play in the 8th minute when King was put through and his first time shot was parried by the advancing keeper. Tynan, who was following up, had the easy task of putting the ball into the net.

It was all Capel at this stage with Tynan going close again. Achilles came back into the game and a first time shot by Reeder was tipped over the bar by the Capel keeper.

Capel went two up in the 17th minute after Tynan had been brought down in the area and from the spot S Knight scored to make it 2-0.

Most Read

Achilles stepped up a gear with both Coote and Grimwood going close but Capel made it three after 40 minutes when S Knight picked up the ball turned his man and shot into the top corner of the net leaving the keeper no chance at all.

Achilles pulled a goal back just before the interval when a good through ball picked out Coote who turned sharply and scored.

Achilles started the second half going straight at their opponents and should have pulled a goal back with an Deller cross picked out Coote whose first-time shot hit the side netting.

After several chances Achilles pulled a second goal back in the 65th minute when a shot from Grimwood deflected off a Capel defender to give the keeper no chance.

Sustained Achilles pressure produced the equaliser in the 75th minute when Grimwood did all the hard work and slammed the ball past the static goalkeeper.

With the snow falling towards the end both sides had chances to snatch the winner but neither did and a draw was probably the fairest result.

Ipswich Athletic 3 Stonham Aspal 0

IN a goalless first half with the flow of the game regularly disrupted by the assistant's flags little was seen of goalmouth action.

Stonham's Martin Bennett was very unlucky to see a header from a corner crash against the bar and fly over.

Following an half-time snow storm Athletic were quickly into their stride and deservedly took the lead.

Luke Harrold picked up the loose ball and made a quick dash for goal and released a shot to fly high into the roof of the net.

Stonham were quickly hit again, Jacobs turn and shot finding the corner of the net from Ford's low cross.

Stonham goalkeeper Nigel Lay and his defence had put up a fine display but a third goal on the stroke of full time, this time Dane Harrold hooked in from eight yards as the ball bounced across the penalty area.

Old Newton 4 Brantham Athletic 0

DESPITE a greasy surface, this was a competitive match between two evenly matched teams with the visitors unable to turn their share of the play into goals.

Old Newton made a dream start, going ahead in the fourth minute with a goal from Clarke and increasing their lead five minutes later with a 30-yard volley from Richards. Brantham got their game together midway through the half with Garcia on the left flank causing home defence problems.

The visitors' won a number of free kicks from the edge of the box, but were unable to beat a packed defence or keeper Connick.

Brantham enjoyed a spell of attacking after the break, with a shot from Willessley being cleared off the line by a defender and an effort from Garcia again dropping over the bar.

Old Newton manager Wardlaw reshuffled his team on the hour. His chances paying dividends in the 74th minute, when new signing Bryant, from Bury Town making his debut, volleying home a cross from Clarke.

The closing quarter was virtually Brantham keeper Parker versus the home attack, the keeper making numerous saves but being beaten by Cantwell in the final minute of the match.