Spartacus fails in British title bid
IPSWICH boxer Steve Spartacus failed in his bid to land the British light-heavyweight title tonight.The 30-year-old fighter was stopped in the 12th and final round of the contest by Portsmouth's Tony Oakey.
IPSWICH boxer Steve Spartacus failed in his bid to land the British light-heavyweight title tonight.
The 30-year-old fighter was stopped in the 12th and final round of the contest by Portsmouth's Tony Oakey.
Oakey, a former Commwealth and WBU world champion, had dominated the fight at the ExCeL Centre in London.
Spartacus was close to taking him the distance, however, when a flurry of punches in the final round convinced the referee to stop the fight.
You may also want to watch:
The Suffolk boxer had described the title fight as the “last-chance saloon” for his career.
- 1 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 2 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 6 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 7 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 8 Future of Swarovski in Buttermarket not crystal clear
- 9 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out
- 10 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster