Spartacus invades Rome
Boxing: SUFFOLK ring warrior Spartacus is on the warpath in Rome.The light heavyweight professional boxer from Bramford, whose real name is Steve Smith, is in the Italian capital for a week of high profile sparring.
By Dave Allard
SUFFOLK ring warrior Spartacus is on the warpath in Rome.
The light heavyweight professional boxer from Bramford, whose real name is Steve Smith, is in the Italian capital for a week of high profile sparring.
He is being paid to be the number one sparring partner for Vincenzo Cantatore, the Italian cruiserweight champion who has won all his 28 fights, 27 by knock-out.
Later this month he will be fighting Wayne Braithwaite of South Africa for the vacant WBC world crown.
Spartacus, who has won all nine of his professional fights, has been out of action for the past few months with a hand injury.
- 1 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 2 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 6 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 7 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 8 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 9 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 10 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
This top ten rated British light heavyweight, says: "The hand is feeling much better and it is a great experience to train with Cantatore.
"His record suggests that concentration has to be very high at all times."
Earlier this year he was hired for sparring in Germany.
Before the end of this year Spartacus hopes to have a shot at the Southern Area title.
Success could lead to a British title crack.
He continued: "The hand injury has been a big setback. But it's still early in my professional career and this opportunity in Rome can only help me."