Stowmarket preparing for new campaign
Preparations for the new season for Stowmarket Rugby Club have been on going for most of the summer, and tomorrow the first team start their league campaign at home to Norwich in London 2 North (KO 3pm).
During the close season there have been a number of changes, with perhaps the most significant being John Phoenix stepping down as chairman with Tony Deane taking over the role.
As a thank-you for John’s efforts, a naming ceremony and celebration of his 13 years in charge was held at the club, and the main pitch has been re named.
There is now a new enthusiastic committee that are keen to build on the success and as such preparations for the season are in full swing.
The senior side of the club have been training hard since the beginning of July and have welcomed a number of new faces, who will hopefully enable the first team to mount a challenge in London League 2.
They will face stiff competition from a number of big clubs that include Norwich, Ipswich and Chelmsford.
The club is also running a second and third team and both of these are looking to emulate the success they enjoyed last year.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 5 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 8 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
- 9 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 10 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
The junior side of the club had its first registration day on Sunday and registration will continue throughout the month.
The club has over 200 Junior members and runs teams from Under-six up to 17 and 18 year olds.
The whole idea of the junior section is that it provides a conveyor belt of youngsters who can then enter the senior section of the club. With the first team currently in London 2 this is clearly proving successful.
Any youngsters out there who would like to give it a go can go to Chilton Fields on Sundays at 10am.
Stowmarket RUFC caters for the playing of rugby from the ages of Under 6 right up to some members over 60 (with the veterans side), but also includes a whole army of volunteers, parents, vice presidents and supporters.
Why not get up to Chilton Fields tomorrow and support the first team as they take on Norwich first team.