Stowmarket turfed out of cup
FA Cup preliminary round: Stowmarket 1 Southal 6STOWMARKET'S lacklustre display was punished in full by a useful Southall side at Greens Meadow.The visitors who arrived almost three hours before kick-off made a 15th-minute breakthrough when a shot from Elliott took a deflection off Langham before nestling in the bottom corner of Nunn's net.
STOWMARKET'S lacklustre display was punished in full by a useful Southall side at Greens Meadow.
The visitors who arrived almost three hours before kick-off made a 15th-minute breakthrough when a shot from Elliott took a deflection off Langham before nestling in the bottom corner of Nunn's net.
Stowmarket were then denied an equaliser when a goal line clearance kept out Aldis' glancing header following a Mayes corner.
Once more the visitors found the back of the Stowmarket net when Elliott's volley on 38 minutes gave his side a two goal cushion.
You may also want to watch:
In an eventful second period the visitors almost increased their lead in a free-kick from Moses who struck the top of the Stowmarket bar as Southall continued to cause problems for the Stowmarket defence.
Play was punctuated by numerous stoppages and several cards were shown by the referee. In the 65th minute the Suffolk side's troubles worsened when Langham tripped Robinson and from the resultant
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 10 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
penalty O'Sullivan put the match beyond Stowmarket's reach. In the 79th minute another penalty award to the visitors ,this time following a challenge on O'Sullivan by Scoulding, ended with Langham who had earlier been booked seeing a red card following comments to the referee. Once more O'Sullivan struck home the spot-kick.
Late goals from Olwemy and O'Sullivan who completed his hat-trick gave the scoreline a rather embarrassing look before Stowmarket finally scored a consolation when substitute Pannell converted a penalty following a foul on Yeomans. All in all a day to forget for the home side.