Stowmarket turfed out of cup
FA Cup preliminary round: Stowmarket 1 Southal 6STOWMARKET'S lacklustre display was punished in full by a useful Southall side at Greens Meadow.The visitors who arrived almost three hours before kick-off made a 15th-minute breakthrough when a shot from Elliott took a deflection off Langham before nestling in the bottom corner of Nunn's net.
STOWMARKET'S lacklustre display was punished in full by a useful Southall side at Greens Meadow.
The visitors who arrived almost three hours before kick-off made a 15th-minute breakthrough when a shot from Elliott took a deflection off Langham before nestling in the bottom corner of Nunn's net.
Stowmarket were then denied an equaliser when a goal line clearance kept out Aldis' glancing header following a Mayes corner.
Once more the visitors found the back of the Stowmarket net when Elliott's volley on 38 minutes gave his side a two goal cushion.
In an eventful second period the visitors almost increased their lead in a free-kick from Moses who struck the top of the Stowmarket bar as Southall continued to cause problems for the Stowmarket defence.
Play was punctuated by numerous stoppages and several cards were shown by the referee. In the 65th minute the Suffolk side's troubles worsened when Langham tripped Robinson and from the resultant
- 1 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 2 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 3 Two hour delays on A14 after road closed near Felixstowe
- 4 5 businesses opening up in Ipswich soon
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after three-car crash on A12 near Ipswich
- 6 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
- 7 A14 slip road closed near Ipswich after BMW catches fire
- 8 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 9 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 10 Memorial match for colleague killed outside takeaway
penalty O'Sullivan put the match beyond Stowmarket's reach. In the 79th minute another penalty award to the visitors ,this time following a challenge on O'Sullivan by Scoulding, ended with Langham who had earlier been booked seeing a red card following comments to the referee. Once more O'Sullivan struck home the spot-kick.
Late goals from Olwemy and O'Sullivan who completed his hat-trick gave the scoreline a rather embarrassing look before Stowmarket finally scored a consolation when substitute Pannell converted a penalty following a foul on Yeomans. All in all a day to forget for the home side.