Swans sail away with three points

SIL SOCCER: Grundisburgh 0 Westerfield 1. The Swans showed more enterprise than the home side and deservedly won the game, thanks to Eldon who was able to pick his spot from close range on 22 minutes.


Grundisburgh 0 Westerfield 1

THE Swans showed more enterprise than the home side and deservedly won the game, thanks to Eldon who was able to pick his spot from close range on 22 minutes.

The Grundisburgh attack, disjoined by injuries, looked unbalanced but two excellent first-half chances went begging when first Forsdike saved brilliantly from Clennell who was clean through then Morrison with the goal at his mercy hurried his header on to the woodwork.

Westerfield maintained the initiative throughout the second-half but finished badly.

Lockhart prevented a further Westerfield goal with a great goal-line clearance in injury time.

Most Read

Old Newton 1 Achilles 1

DESPITE a greasy playing surface this was a keenly-contested encounter between two evenly-matched teams.

In a goalless first half scoring chances were created at both ends with a corner kick from Zarkos causing problems to the visitors defence.

Both sides raised their game after the break, Old Newton going ahead after 62 minutes, when Bryant lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box.

Achilles levelled after 84 minutes, when Vince latched on to a Deller pass to net from close range.

Keeper Paisley was at full stretch in the final action of the match to tip a low shot from Westbrook around his upright to deny Achilles the three points.

Ipswich Athletic 2 Melton 1

TWO headers from Howard and Jacobs gave Athletic the goals and the three points against an unlucky Saints side.

Athletic started well, with Harrold and Howard having opportunities to score as did King and Morford for the visitors.

Howard opened the scoring after 45 minutes from a well-flighted free kick from man of the match Danny Taylor.

Saints had the edge in the second half, Wheatley's shot was saved by Howe and Saints keeper McKenna saved well from Taylor.

Jacobs increased the home side's lead on 62 minutes from a corner before Chiverton reduced the arrears two minutes later after the keeper failed to hold a free kick from Stokes.

Cranes 2 East Bergholt 4

CRANES didn't do themselves any favours when they were caught cold after 30 seconds of this match when Gedny, unmarked in the box, guided the ball home after a flick on from Wilcox.

Cranes came alive after this and T Paul and G Paul both had good heading opportunities but missed by small margins on both occasions. Beaumont, who looked very lively for the home side, ran on to a Hitter pass but hit the foot of the upright.

Wilcox was unlucky not to score in the 25th minute but his chance was ruled off-side. Wilcox, again the centre of some good Bergholt play, held the ball up well for Howell to shoot through a crowd of players and somehow find its way in.

Roper was forced to make two good saves from Wilcox and Coles – both could have done better with their respective efforts.

Bergholt started the second half as they finished the first and from a J Jorgenson free-kick Wilcox volleyed marginally over. Cranes then went on a good attack and had three good attempts to score but missed on every occasion.

Wilcox then found himself in the penalty box and his stooping header was well smothered by Roper.

Straight down the other end Beaumont scored a superb individual goal riding two defenders and scoring from a tight angle in off the upright.

This spurred Cranes on and they really took the game to their visitors, but with ten minutes to go Gedny toe-poked a Coles' cross home.

Grogan in the Bergholt defence did well on two occasions to stop two good Crane's opportunities. Right at the end of 90 minutes Wilcox scored to put the game out of Crane's reach.

Cranes showed some good spells of football and shouldn't find a win too far round the corner.

Bramford 4 Haughley 4

IT took only two minutes for Bramford to open the scoring, Martin Steward's 20 yard free-kick left the Haughley goalkeeper Pat Hoyden helpless as the ball took a slight deflection.

Despite Bramford looking the more impressive, they conceded a bad goal when goalkeeper Leggett and defender Innes left the ball to each other which left Ashley Hawes the chance to tap into the empty net.

Bramford hit back when Steward's free-kick hit the bar and Carl McCarthy followed up to score. Haughley's problems got worse when Vinny Grimsey's header was fumbled by Hayden for Simon Burman, who made no mistake.

Haughley kept plugging away and were rewarded when Vincent's header was blocked on the line only for Hawes to knock in the rebound.

Bramford then gained a 4-2 lead when Adam Ricky put the ball in his own net.

Bramford looked like winning the match but Haughley kept going and Jody Finch made it 4-3.

Then in injury time Shaun Kidd scored with a great free-kick from 25 yards.

Stanton 4 Woodbridge 1

STANTON made the best of the conditions early on and looked lively.

In the tenth minute a good move down the left between Bloomfield and Danny Hazelton resulted in a good left-foot cross by Hazelton which was met soundly by Alan Ross who scored.

Play continued in the same vain in the second half with Stanton applying all the pressure. This was rewarded in the 75th minute when Miles Turner put a good ball through to the right wing and Alan Ross controlled well before centering for Shaun Foreman to score.

After 80 minutes more good play by Danny Portway resulted in a ball to Miles Turner who scored from close range.

Play was held up in the 85th minute when Woodbridge had a player leave the field with a badly damaged shoulder.

Woodbridge rearranged their defence and in doing so Stanton exploited the situation and Shaun Foreman added to the score.

Leiston 2 Walsham 2

SAINTS had a good move down the right, which led to Cole trying a shot which flew into the net via the angle.

Walsham then pushed Saints hard and were first to the ball on most occasions.

Murphy was taken down in the area but nothing was given. Immediately at the other end a penalty was given for jostling in the area, which Musgrove easily dispatched.

In the second half Walsham took control for a while then Calver was put through on goal but was pulled down in the area and Ford dispatched the penalty to put Saints back into the lead.

Minutes later Walsham were lucky to win the ball and substitute Smith hooked the ball into the net.

Stonham 0 Capel Plough 1

FIRST half chances fell to both teams with Moye, Bennett and G Brown going close for Stonham, while Morrison and Alvins for Capel also missed the target.

Chances were again wasted in the second-half until Laws put Capel ahead after 69 minutes, heading home a superb cross from King.

Moye and G Brown missed fairly easy chances to equalise and T Tynan and Morrison also squandered chances to increase Capel's lead in a drab and uninspired game.