Town parting company with Williams
IPSWICH Town parting company with head of sports science Dave Williams.A prominent member of manager Jim Magilton's backroom team, Williams was on the bench for the last time in last Sunday's 3-1 Coca-Cola Championship win over Cardiff City at Portman Road.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH Town parting company with head of sports science Dave Williams.
A prominent member of manager Jim Magilton's backroom team, Williams was on the bench for the last time in last Sunday's 3-1 Coca-Cola Championship win over Cardiff City at Portman Road.
Williams was promoted from team physio to head of sports science last summer, and he has tended the injuries of Blues players on the pitch since he was appointed David Bingham's successor in 1995.
You may also want to watch:
He has assembled a state-of-the-art treatment room at Town's training ground and at Portman Road and built up a good reputation within the game.
The reasons behind Williams' impending departure have not been disclosed, but misconduct has been ruled out by the club.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 7 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
A spokesman said today: “David Williams remains an employee of Ipswich Town.”
But he is not expected to have any further part to play at Portman Road.
Employee matters are confidential but negotiations are believed to be taking place between the club and Williams, who also has interests in Sportsmed East, is expected to pursue his other interests.
Matt Byard, currently a physio at Portman Road, is in line to take over from Williams and run the medical department at the club.