Town parting company with Williams
IPSWICH Town parting company with head of sports science Dave Williams.A prominent member of manager Jim Magilton's backroom team, Williams was on the bench for the last time in last Sunday's 3-1 Coca-Cola Championship win over Cardiff City at Portman Road.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH Town parting company with head of sports science Dave Williams.
A prominent member of manager Jim Magilton's backroom team, Williams was on the bench for the last time in last Sunday's 3-1 Coca-Cola Championship win over Cardiff City at Portman Road.
Williams was promoted from team physio to head of sports science last summer, and he has tended the injuries of Blues players on the pitch since he was appointed David Bingham's successor in 1995.
He has assembled a state-of-the-art treatment room at Town's training ground and at Portman Road and built up a good reputation within the game.
The reasons behind Williams' impending departure have not been disclosed, but misconduct has been ruled out by the club.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 3 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 4 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 5 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 6 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 7 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
- 8 Mobile phone and laptop stolen in spate of thefts from cars near Ipswich
- 9 Investigation ongoing after huge blaze rips through land near Ipswich
- 10 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
A spokesman said today: “David Williams remains an employee of Ipswich Town.”
But he is not expected to have any further part to play at Portman Road.
Employee matters are confidential but negotiations are believed to be taking place between the club and Williams, who also has interests in Sportsmed East, is expected to pursue his other interests.
Matt Byard, currently a physio at Portman Road, is in line to take over from Williams and run the medical department at the club.