Waldringfield take title in style
GOLF: Waldringfield Heath became the winners of the Evening Star Inter-Club Challenge for the second time in the four-year history of the competition. Going into the final meeting of the season at Hintlesham last week, Waldringfield held a 25-point advantage and were effectively already home and dry.
WALDRINGFIELD Heath became the winners of the Evening Star Inter-Club Challenge for the second time in the four-year history of the competition.
Going into the final meeting of the season at Hintlesham last week, Waldringfield held a 25-point advantage and were effectively already home and dry.
But they rounded it off with another victory and stretched their overall lead to 30 points with Fynn Valley in second place and Stoke-by-Nayland taking third.
Since the Inter-Club Challenge was introduced, there has only been two winning clubs – Waldringfield and Ufford Park.
You may also want to watch:
Ufford won in the inaugural year and since then they have alternated with Waldringfield.
Hintlesham off the white posts proved the ultimate test for the final meeting, but there was some very good scoring to round off the competition for another year.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 7 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 8 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 9 Ipswich train services cancelled due to signalling system fault
- 10 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
Andy Cotton (Waldringfield) led the professionals with a three under par 69.
However, Cotton was upstaged by Simon Dainty – now working at Fynn Valley – who produced a 68.
Hintlesham scores: Waldringfield Heath 116, Hintlesham 113, Fynn Valley and Ufford Park 111, Stoke-by-Nayland 109, Seckford 106, Cretingham 86.
Final overall totals: Waldringfield 912, Fynn Valley 882, Stoke-by-Nayland 877, Ufford Park 761, Seckford 751, Cretingham 730, Hintlesham 650.
Best pairs scores outside the winners: 42 pts Simon Dainty and Alan Munro (Fynn Valley), 41- Roly Hitchcok and Brian Green (Stoke-by-Nayland).
Longest drive: Mary Pendle.
Nearest the pin: T McCusker.