Wanderers wilt in the heat

SIL SOCCER: All the reports and reaction from the weekend's SIL soccer fixtures as the non-league football season kicks-off.


Ipswich Wanderers 0 Ely City 0

IN weather conditions akin to the West Coast of Africa, Ipswich Wanderers and Ely City fought out an entertaining 0-0 draw.

Ely City opened brightly and Moye and Eden went close before Bickers drew a good save from Banthorpe. Wanderers' flamboyant goalkeeper Jamie Stannard, was busy and made good saves from Foster and the ever-dangerous Eden.

Wanderers gradually got their act together and Winston Harewood's astute pass to Andy Coote resulted in an effort just wide of the post. Further efforts from both sides continued to keep the sizeable crowd entertained in a goalless first half.

A similar pattern emerged for the second half with Ely taking the initiative early on with Stannard again in action, however, Hetherington had the best shot of the game pushed round the post by Banthorpe.

Most Read

Ipswich Athletic 3 East Bergholt 3

BERGHOLT took a 12th minute lead after a neat interchange on the right. Turner's well- directed header had Evans at full stretch and when the keeper failed to keep hold of the ball, Gedny nipped in to open the scoring.

Bergholt keeper Andrews twice saved well from Beddoes in reply, but Vernau finished well at the far post after Gedny hooked the ball goalwards in the 25th minute. Turner's strong run ended on the edge of the penalty area, but Howell thumped in the loose ball on 35 minutes.

Athletic pulled one goal back when Ford lobbed over the oncoming Andrews in the 55th minute, but their efforts came to nothing until Mills' tremendous 25-yard free kick five minutes from time and in the last minute Ford set the ball back to Radnor who completed an amazing comeback for the home side with a fierce shot from 20 yards.

Bramford Utd 2 Old Newton 0

BRAMFORD totally dominated the first half and but for some poor finishing could have been three or four goals up in the first 15 minutes.

Bramford's pressure finally paid off when a superb run and cross by Wardley enabled Ditcham to head home powerfully.

An inspired substitution from the Bramford management team paid immediate dividends when Bird calmly lobbed keeper Stannard for Bramford's second goal, only having been on the pitch for three minutes.

Haughley United 1 Capel Plough 1

HAUGHLEY dominated play in the first 20 minutes forcing numerous corners and goalmouth scrambles but were unable to find the net.

Their best effort was a 35 yard volley from defender Thompson which keeper Hunt tipped on to the bar before being cleared by a defender.

Haughley went ahead in the 43rd minute when Capel defenders failed to clear a Lummis corner allowing Ewers to net from close range.

Collins levelled for the visitors five minutes after the break when he found himself free of defenders to tap home a Tynan cross.

Melton 1 Stonham Aspel 1

THE visitors started the stronger with McKenna making some excellent stops to keep his side in the game.

Having survived this early scare Melton looked the side likely to score and Danny Cook duly obliged with a fierce drive into the top right-hand corner.

In the second half Stonham scored an equaliser when Moye crossed for Smith to head home.

Leiston 0 Westerfield 2

AFTER 10 minutes Westerfield went into the lead, following a quick throw-on the right and, from a cross, Sandilands found the net easily.

Saints started to get into the game in the last ten minutes of the half. Then a quick break away down the right and Westerfield went two up.

Saints' worries were increased when Murphy was sent off for bad language before the interval.

The match petered out for the last 10 minutes with Westerfield happy with their two-goal lead.

Stanton 1 Grundisburgh 0

BRILLIANT sunshine welcomed a changed Grundisburgh to the Recreation Ground for the start of the new season.

On 20 minutes a weak header from Portaway and a shot from Neil Elers went straight at the keeper. Elers again fired a shot straight at the keeper then Andy Southgate was substituted after going off injured and was replaced by Adrian McAllister.

Mark Clark for Grundisburgh tried to lob Mustoe early in the second half, but his control let him down and shortly after Neil King for Grundisburgh should have scored when clean through.

The game seemed to be heading towards a scrappy 0-0 draw until the evergreen Elers put this thought to rest when he netted from close range in the final two minutes.

Walsahm-le-Willows 4 Cranes 3

WALSHAM kicked off the first day of the season against newly-promoted Cranes and had the better of the early exchanges with two quick corners.

In the 22nd minute Walsham's Keeble sent a free kick which was headed against the bar by Mark Moye then turned out for a corner which was turned into his own net by G Paul.

Moye increased the lead two minutes later, finishing Smith's flick-on. Cranes pulled one back when a free kick from 25 yards was squared to Beecroft who struck a fierce shot into the corner.

On 41 minutes Beecroft was sent off for an off-the-ball incident. Three minutes later Musgrove scored for Walsham with an 18-yard free kick.

Within a minute an over-the-top ball caught out the Walsham defence and a Cranes player was brought down in the penalty area, T Paul scored with ease.

A far-post header by D Sutton saw Cranes draw level at 3-3 in the 72nd minute.

The 79th minute saw Walsham reduced to 10 men when Smith was sent off. The rest of the half both sides produce little until the 90th minute when Moye headed home Keeble's cross at the far post.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter