Birds of a Feather star Lesley Joseph leads cast of smash musical Annie at the Ipswich Regent
- Credit: Archant
Birds of a Feather star Lesley Joseph is heading to the Ipswich Regent next year in smash musical Annie.
We can reveal she is starring as Miss Hannigan in Michael Harrison and David Ian’s new production. It is a role she’s already played at the Victoria Palace in London’s West End and on national tour.
Set in 1930s New York during The Great Depression, spirited Annie’s life at Hannigan’s orphanage is not a pleasant one.
Her luck changes when famous billionaire Oliver Warbucks picks her to spend Christmas at his home.
But spiteful Miss Hannigan has other ideas and hatches a plan to spoil Annie’s search for her real parents.
Boosting an award-winning book and score, the musical includes songs like It’s the Hard-Knock Life, Easy Street, I Don’t Need Anything But You and Tomorrow.
Joseph is best known for playing Dorien Green in Birds of a Feather alongside Pauline Quirke and Linda Robson, recording more than 100 episodes from 1989-1998.
- 1 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 2 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 7 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 8 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 9 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 10 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
The BBC sitcom was then revived for another series by ITV in 2013, with a second airing earlier this year.
Joseph, whose stage credits also include Calendar Girls and Hot Flush, and the rest of the cast will enjoy a six-day run at the Regent from April 25-30, 2016. Tickets go on sale at 9.30am today.
Bryony Rudkin, Ipswich Borough Council’s culture portfolio-holder, said: “We are thrilled to announce that the musical Annie will be coming to the Regent. It is a fabulous story, with great songs and a strong cast led by the irrepressible Lesley Joseph. Annie is continuing the Regent tradition of offering West End shows on your doorstep.”