Review: Jimmy Carr, Ipswich Regent, July 30
- Credit: PA
No stranger to Ipswich, he brought his Funny Business tour back for a sell-out crowd at the theatre.
Understanding on his last visit the crowd were in a non-heckling mood, I was intrigued to know if they would step up their game this time. With a heckle delivered after his first line, this set the tone for the evening nicely.
He tested the water in the first half, seeing how far he could push boundaries and with a heckle amnesty proved he’s always ready to fire back.
The more the audience verbally abuse him, the more it fuels his response - proving he’s the king of one-liners and a sharp response.
Without TV censorship it’s really an opportunity for Carr to let loose and I think it’s fair to say no minority or taboo was safe; everyone was a target.
A tad controversial, at times crude, he’s always unpredictable. Morally right? Questionable. but then as he pointed out on several occasions, he really couldn’t care.
The second half was definitely more brutal and there were times when you felt guilty for laughing. The show was most definitely not for the easily offended.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 9 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
Being such a fan of his TV work I was quite apprehensive as to whether I would enjoy his no-holds barred approach on stage but I did. Although his humour is an acquired taste, he does pack a show with so many one-liners delivered over and over.
What rhymes with orange - no it doesn’t - is probably the only joke I can share from this evening.