Review: Jon Richardson at the Ipswich Regent
- Credit: Archant
Having been introduced to his comedy through TV panel shows such as 8 Out of 10 Cats I was excited to see how Jon Richardson would perform on his own on the stage – and I was not disappointed.
Richardson had the theatre roaring with laughter as he weaved together a combination of long-running story jokes intermixed with more punchy gags, mostly taken from his style of observational humour around a theme of misery.
The comic shared the depressing moments from his own life but always finding comedy in a way which made you laugh out loud, while at the same time wanting to go “awww” and give him a hug.
Longer spun out tales included meeting his current girlfriend and suffering from gastroenteritis on a first date, while a particular favourite short joke of mine was: “Boris Johnson is like a wet fart – funny at the time but you have to check for damage later.”
Despite him being well into his tour now Richardson did not feel rehearsed or stale and engaged brilliantly with the audience. He was able to banter brilliantly with a heckle about his height, earning one audience member the nickname of Gigantor for the evening, while he also often referred back to a train driver in the front row to make the audience feel included.
You may also want to watch:
All in all this was a very enjoyable performance, which although I am a fan of Richardson’s anyway I think would be enjoyed even by people new to his personality. I would certainly recommend people go to see him if they get the chance.
Will Lodge saw Jon Richardson at the Ipswich Regent Theatre on Monday October 6 2014.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 3 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths