Review: Sarah Millican Outsider, Ipswich Regent, to March 19
- Credit: Archant
South Shields stand-up Millican is like your favourite aunt. You know the one. Looks like butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth but out of the blue says something that has the room gasping.
Blue is an apt word. I won’t be buying jam from a WI stall any time soon. And no, I can’t explain why. In fact, I can’t repeat half of what she said. I can tell you this, I laughed so much my cheeks hurt.
Sipping a mug of tea as she went, the award-winning Millican chatted to the packed theatre like we were sat around her kitchen table. Nothing was out of bounds, I could confidentally choose her bathing and bedroom rituals as my specialist subject on Mastermind.
What makes her so funny is she talks about real-life, those moments we all have. Topics ranged from her fractious relationship with one of her cats, her dog missing the nuances of Showaddywaddy’s Under the Moon of Love, life in the countryside, including being unable to tell the difference between an owl’s hoot and her husband’s asthma and septic tanks.
You never know what you’re going to get when you throw questions at Ipswich audiences. I’ve heard some strange things shouted out at comedy gigs; tonight came close to being the weirdest. Asking us what’s the best thing we’ve seen in nature went in some bizarre and dark directions; sparking a raging debate about what a whaleshark actually is (it’s a shark) and how many teats a horse has (it’s two).
I’ve never seen a Yorkie bar thrown at a comedian’s feet before either.
There were serious, albeit it still funny, moments too with bits about body issues, shamming school bullies and owning what makes you you - even if it’s your ability to peel a satsuma while driving and being able to mimic a car horn perfectly.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
A shout out too for opener Danny McLoughlin. Now, where to wear the pet badge my wife picked up for me...