Extra police patrols to be carried out in Ipswich following stabbing
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Extra police patrols will be carried out in Ipswich in the next 24 hours after a stabbing in the town.
A man was taken to hospital in Ipswich after being stabbed in the abdomen at Cardinal Park around 3am on Friday morning.
It is believed the man, 19, has suffered life-changing injuries but is now stable.
Cardinal Park has been largely cordoned off since this morning close to the cinema and Unit 17 nightclub.
Suffolk police said the force hoped to reassure the local community through the extra patrols.
As a matter of precaution, a Section 60 has been authorised covering the Ipswich borough district. This is in place for a 24-hour period from midday today to midday tomorrow.
As part of the powers, officers will be allowed to stop and search without reasonable grounds, but where there is a risk of violence or believe weapons are being carried.
Officers are keen to point out that while there is no perceived risk to the wider public, there is an increased risk of violence between parties either directly involved or associated with the incident.
- 1 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 2 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 3 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 4 Cinnabon chain coming to A14 service station
- 5 Drunk driver nearly caused head-on crash driving on wrong side of the road
- 6 Ipswich man denies multiple rape offences as trial begins
- 7 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 8 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 9 Ipswich man led police on 55 mile chase at 120mph
- 10 First look at iconic venue The Baths ahead of Sound City Ipswich Festival
Anyone with any information or who witnessed the incident, should contact Ipswich CID on 101 quoting crime reference: 37/41536/21.