Extra police patrols to be carried out in Ipswich following stabbing
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Extra police patrols will be carried out in Ipswich in the next 24 hours after a stabbing in the town.
A man was taken to hospital in Ipswich after being stabbed in the abdomen at Cardinal Park around 3am on Friday morning.
It is believed the man, 19, has suffered life-changing injuries but is now stable.
Cardinal Park has been largely cordoned off since this morning close to the cinema and Unit 17 nightclub.
Suffolk police said the force hoped to reassure the local community through the extra patrols.
As a matter of precaution, a Section 60 has been authorised covering the Ipswich borough district. This is in place for a 24-hour period from midday today to midday tomorrow.
As part of the powers, officers will be allowed to stop and search without reasonable grounds, but where there is a risk of violence or believe weapons are being carried.
Officers are keen to point out that while there is no perceived risk to the wider public, there is an increased risk of violence between parties either directly involved or associated with the incident.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 6 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 7 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 8 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 9 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Anyone with any information or who witnessed the incident, should contact Ipswich CID on 101 quoting crime reference: 37/41536/21.