Suspicious package found in Christchurch Park being treated as a hoax
- Credit: Archant
A suspicious package that closed Christchurch Park near Ipswich town centre is being treated as a hoax, police have confirmed.
Police were called to the park at about 4.10pm on Sunday to reports that a package had been found on a bench.
It has since been confirmed that the package was found near a pond in the park.
Officers attended the incident and the park was closed in the the interest of public safety.
People visiting the park, as well as Christchurch Mansion in the centre, were asked to leave as police arrived at the scene.
Bolton Lane, near the park, was sealed off while officers carried out their investigation and about 30 properties in the road, as well as in nearby Westerfield Road and Tuddenham Road, were also evacuated as a precaution.
The device was later assessed by ordnance disposal specialists, a police spokesman said.
The cordon was lifted shortly after 7pm, and residents who were evacuated were told they could return to their properties - about three hours after the package was discovered.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 5 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 6 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 7 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 8 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
Police thanked the public for their understanding and co-operation whilst enquiries into the incident continue.
Join our Suffolk Crime Watch Facebook group for all the latest crime news in the county.