WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
The Ever Given has made its long-awaited arrival at the Port of Felixstowe after blocking the Suez Canal earlier in the year.
Dozens of ship-spotters gathered along Felixstowe seafront on Tuesday to catch a glimpse of the 400m-long container ship as it was taxied to the port.
It was first seen anchored out at sea on Monday afternoon as it awaited its scheduled arrival time in Suffolk.
The Ever Given made international news back in March after it became lodged in the Suez Canal in Egypt amid high winds - blocking a major international trading route for six days.
It was originally scheduled to dock in Rotterdam in the Netherlands on April 3 before arriving in Suffolk three days later.
The chaos and backlog meant the journeys of hundreds of ships were delayed and some were forced to take the much longer route around the southern tip of Africa.
You may also want to watch:
Shipping data from Lloyd's List projected the vessel was holding up around £7billion worth of goods every day it was stuck.
After being refloated, the Ever Given was then held by the Egyptian authorities, in charge of the Suez Canal, for more than three months amid a financial dispute over £655m in compensation.
In July, the ship was finally freed after an agreement was struck between its Japanese owner, Shoei Kisen Kaisha Ltd, and the canal authorities.
- 1 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 2 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Criminals confess to nearly 400 offences thanks to specialist police unit
- 5 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 6 What are the best curry houses in Ipswich?
- 7 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 8 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 9 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our Copdock Motorcycle Show gallery?
The vessel is set to arrive in Hamburg in Germany after cargo was unloaded by port workers in Felixstowe.
The Port of Felixstowe is Britain’s biggest and busiest container port, welcoming more than 3,000 ships each year.
The Ever Given was first spotted anchored off the coast at Felixstowe on Monday afternoon and is now making its way around Landguard Point before port workers unload its cargo.