5 new Ipswich restaurants that opened in 2021
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Foodies in Ipswich have been treated this year after a number of new restaurants opened in the town, despite the lockdown challenges faced by the hospitality industry.
Here are five eateries that served their first diners in the town in 2021.
Where: Lloyds Avenue, IP1 3HD
First-time restaurateur Toni Scanu opened Sourdough Street in the summer after taking over the former Pizza Express unit near the Cornhill, which closed in 2020.
Sourdough Street prides itself on being Ipswich's first and only sourdough pizza joint, using a range of locally-sourced ingredients.
Where: Lion Street, IP1 1DQ
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 6 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 9 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 10 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
The former Aqua Eight restaurant in the town centre has been snapped up by The Moloko, a cocktail and tapas bar.
Zoe Cutting, co-owner of the venue, opened The Moloko after diners were allowed to eat indoors again when Covid rules eased in May.
Dough & Co/Burger Amour
Where: Cardinal Park, Grafton Way, IP1 1AX
Dough & Co and Burger Amour, a joint restaurant with a number of chains across Suffolk and north Essex, opened its latest venture in Cardinal Park in the summer in the former Frankie & Benny's unit.
It is fronted by entrepreneur and ex-chef Chris Sharman, who started his business in a horse box before expanding across the region.
Where: Pownall Road, IP3 0DS
This street food venue near the Waterfront serves a number of Greek classics, such as chicken or pork souvlaki, loukaniko and halloumi.
There's a dining area inside and outside, but food is available to take out.
Where: Upper Brook Street, IP4 1DU
Ipswich has certainly proven a hotspot for new pizza restaurants this year — Fireaway was the third to open in the town centre in just a few months.
Fireaway is the UK’s fastest-growing pizza takeaway chain and opened its Ipswich branch at the start of June.